See your workplace as your mission field
Careers are both spiritual and supernatural. Jesus has the power and strategy to help you turn your career into a calling.
I’ll never forget the travail that I felt in seeking the will of God for my life. It almost became an obsession. Should I pursue professional ice hockey, business like my father, counseling, or full-time ministry? I’ve got to admit I was frustrated. Why wasn’t God telling me what to do?
Have you ever felt this frustration and uncertainty? Are you waiting for an angelic visitation, writing on the wall, or a loud voice? As a counselor, I can tell you that these feelings and questions are common. So let me give you five insights to help you answer this dilemma:
- There is no division between a spiritual career and a calling. Your personal career could and should become a calling from heaven.
- God has uniquely qualified you to do something and enjoy it. What do you love to do? Can you make a living doing it?
- Careers and callings from God should be the same. Jesus prayed one prayer to the father: “‘Your kingdom come, Your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.’” (Matthew 6:10, NIV) Christians should see their careers as their methods of bringing heaven to Earth.
- Christians are called to bring excellence and effort into the workplace. “Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for human masters.” (Colossians 3:23, NIV)
- God has designed you to love a career and do well at it. He’ll let you choose a career so you can shine like a bright light and flourish.
I encourage you to see the workplace as a mission field—your mission field. The workplace may not seem spiritual, but it requires a focused person led by the Holy Spirit to succeed at it. To help you, I am including a free chapter from my book The Keys of the Kingdom. It has radically refined my church and leaders around the world.
You can shine anywhere because you are a miracle.